(for approx 6 hungry people)
- 3 onions, two white and one red
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1kg of minced meat
- 4 bell peppers – 2 red, yellow, orange
- 300 grams of mushrooms
- 250 grams baby carrots, chopped into discs
- 1 kg tomatoes
- Passata (optional)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 chillies, chopped
- Some dried chilli
- 2 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp or apple cider vinegar
Start by dicing the vegetables. I like to use fresh (peeled) tomatoes rather than canned ones but if you are short on time, canned ones will suffice. (tip : find instructions on the internet on how to peel tomatoes) Dice all the tomatoes and place them in a bowl. Add 100ml of boiling water and 1 Tbsp of honey. Use a fork to roughly mush the tomatoes and keep aside.
then gently saute the onion and garlic in olive oil. Once the onion has started to brown, add the vegetables (except the tomato mixture)
Next add the minced beef to your vegetables and once it has started to brown, stir in the sun dried tomato paste and add your fresh tomato mixture. Season to taste with the cinnamon, chilli powder and cumin. be careful when adding your chillies. Finally, add the apple cider vinegar and soy sauce. Allow it to simmer for half an hour or longer if you can wait, this intensifies the flavour.
tip : serve with coliflower rice
for 1 super large portion or 2 smaller portions :
1 chicken breast
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ red onion
2 tbsp of fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp of sesame seeds
1 tbsp of red pepper flakes
2 carrots, shredded
¼ of a whole green cabbage, shredded
Salt and pepper*
½ cup of coconut milk
1 head of cauliflower, riced either with a grater or food processor
½ tbsp curry powder
½ tbsp turmeric
- Head some oil in a cast iron skillet, over medium heat. Put in the garlic, ginger and red onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken.
- When the chicken has cooked half way through, add in the soy sauce, lemon juice, sesame seeds, curry powder, turmeric and red pepper flakes. Stir to mix all together and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the carrots and cabbage. Mix all together. Cook down until all the liquid has been absorbed, around 10 minutes.
- To make the cauliflower rice, heat some butter (or ghee) and melt it in a pan. Add the riced cauliflower and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Once the cauliflower has begun to cook, add the coconut milk. The cauliflower will absorb it all in about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, tear whole butter lettuce leaves off and lay flat. Add cauliflower rice and then top with chicken mixture.
tip : eat with a fresh no-cook vegetable side dish
I kinda missed the burgerfeeling. So I used two steamed portobello’s and layered lettuce, avocado and pieces of steak inbetween them. Then I grabbed the burger with both hands and took big bites of diliciousness!!
With the left over steak, I ate steamed spinach and steamed strings (I used a peeler) of parsnip.